Year of Poetry Update - Week 38

Thought I should buy this 
This week I started revising my basic Japanese so that I can teach an introduction to Japanese Culture and Language next term. 

My brain is aching then, from running hot.

The Poet Tree has sprouted some more poems as you can see from the photo below. 

And I have managed to redraft a poem to a grinding halt, but more on that later.

My library order of ABR (Australian Book Review )came in, which led to the bank account getting a work out after reading some good reviews.  

As noted in a previous post the interview I did with Alice Alan went live this past week and I have had some good feedback from commenters on FB and Twitter.

If you are keen for some more podcasty goodness, Alice and Michelle Seminara have an interview with the wonderful PS Cottier over at Verity La.



The Writing

This week I continued redrafting the poem that I was redrafting last week and implemented  a couple of suggestions from the section on drafting in Ron Pretty's Creating Poetry.

Most significantly the suggestion of using anecdote to expand the poem and give it additional emotional weight. I quite like what I did with that part of the poem but it did upset the rhythm or perhaps, more honestly, made me realize how staid the rhythm sounded.

On the submissions front - still no news


The Study

Guerrilla Poetry in action 

I finished noting the chapter on drafting from Creating Poetry and read and noted the chapter on poetic language. 

There wasn't so much that was new to me in this chapter but its always nice to read subtle reminders, in the form of TS Eliot quotes, on ways we should approach poetic language.


Close Reading

Managed to finish off my reading of Blackout from  Earth Girls.  I heartily recommend you buy the collection from Pitt Street Poetry.



For the Statbadgers:


Total time: 5:09 (391:22) hrs


poem writing = 2.40 (178:56) hrs

close reading =0:42(78:44) hrs

technique/theory 1:22(88:35) hrs

reflection = 0:25 (31:58) hrs



Poetry written:

0(34) poems completed


(1)16 poems in draft


1 poem abandoned


1 poem facing execution at dawn



Poems Submitted:


0(19 in total) poems



Poems Published:


0(7) poem



Live Performances:
0(2)


Interviews:
0(1)


Rejections:


0(8) poems

Comments

Most Popular Posts