Year of Poetry Update - Week 25

Available from Booktopia
What a week and not only on a personal front. My commiserations to the poets and peoples of the UK.

So impressed was I by the early chapters of the The Triggering Town, that I decided to purchase the ebook of Making Certain it Goes On- The Collected Poems of Richard Hugo. Now bearing in mind that my close readings take anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half I haven't made much headway in this 400+ page tome but you'll see below I did read ones that are available at the Poetry Foundation..


In Stafford Country

No hills. Raw wind unchecked, brings word 
of death from Texas. No shade. Sun bruises 
the oats gold. With homes exposed 
no wonder people love. Farms absorb 
the quiet of the snow, and birds 
are black and nameless miles away. 
...


I also received notification of another paid publication - I will be in the inaugural issue of Snap Journal.  It came as a complete surprise to me as I had forgotten that I'd submitted a poem back in March.  So my acceptances versus rejections for the year sits at 8:7 or 53% which any poet/writer will tell you is excellent.  So no complaints.


The Writing

As you'll note from the stats below I was able to find extra time for all elements of the plan this week. I'll thank the cold weather and the dearth of anything interesting on TV owing to the ongoing election coverage and commercial networks reluctance to deliver engaging programs.

Yes I spent most of my evenings writing at the fireside.  This week's writing was writing and rewriting the one poem using some of Richard Hugo's suggestions.  I don't think I've ever spent so much time on the one poem (and I'll continue tomorrow).


The Study

I polished off the The Triggering Town this week.  I found the first half the book immensely helpful - the right learning at the right time.  The later writings in the book seem more autobiographical and tangential to the writing of poetry but were interesting nonetheless.


Close Reading


This week I read Richard Hugo's Mill at Romesdal and In Stafford Country.  I did so both before purchasing the collected works and it's only now checking the digital collection that I realise that when I printed off a copy of the Mill at Romesdal I only printed half the poem.  Even for half a poem I found it well done.




For the Statbadgers:


Total time: 13:24 (307:29) hrs



poem writing = 6.10 (131:53) hrs

close reading = 2:26(62:45) hrs

technique/theory 3:38(75:38) hrs

reflection = 1:00 (24:44) hrs



Poetry written:

0 (23) poems completed


14 poems in draft


1 poem abandoned


1 poem facing execution at dawn



Poems Submitted:


-1(14 in total) poems



Poems Published:


1(7) poem



Live Performances:


0(2)



Rejections:


0(7) poems

Comments

Most Popular Posts